Monday, July 18, 2011

i am like a new person in a new world.

we kind of tried to ignore the fact that it was the last week of the transfer this week. it went by too fast.

it started out with exchanges: Soeur Turney and Soeur Cope came down from Liège! It was fun to see them again. It was really ideal timing- Soeur Turney and Soeur Didier went out and hit the pavement while Soeur Cope and I went to my physical therapy appointment and our Visitor's Center shift (we taught two lessons and gave out three Book of Mormons!), so it all worked out really good. That night I made what Soeur Didier likes to call "Le Sandwich de Soeur Williams" (grilled cheese- it's her favorite thing ever) and we all chatted and caught up. It was crazy having six sisters in our apartment for the night, but fun!

thursday was "la fete nationale" of France- Bastille Day. It also happened to be our transfer cleaning day: once a transfer we are asked to take a day and deep clean our apartments. That morning during studies, Soeur Didier taught us the French national anthem.


La Marseillaise.
Allons enfants de la patrie
le jour de gloire est arrivé
contre nous de la tyrannie
l'étandard sanglant est levé.
l'étandard sanglant est levé.
entendez-vous dans les campagnes
mugir ces féroces soldats
qui viennent jusque dans nos bras
egorger vos fils et vos compagnes.
aux armes, citoyens,
formez vos bataillons,
marchons, marchons,
qu'un sang impur
abreuve nos sillons.


let's go, children of the motherland,
the day of glory has arrived.
the blood-covered flag of tyranny
is raised against us.
is raised against us.
do you hear these ferocious soldiers
howling in the countryside
they're coming nearly into our grasp
to slit the throats of your sons and your women.
grab your weapons, citizens,
form your batallions,
we march, we march,
so that their impure blood
will fill our trenches.
 

whoa, right? bloody. The best part is the happy tune. It's so funny to have such a bouncy melody when you're singing about slitting throats. I'll sing it for you when I get home! (do you know it, Roland? If so, you'll be singing along with me :) ) vive la France!

on saturday, we did a little exchange with the paris soeurs. Soeur Smith and Soeur Didier went out to teach a couple lessons and I went to sit with Soeur Pearce at the church while she typed a talk she had to give in church on sunday. (talks in french are stressful!) anyway. It was an absolute DOWNPOUR (we're talking shower) on the way home, so we got completely soaked through. hence the drenched photos. :)

Anbu was confirmed yesterday! Elder Weed did a great job. Anbu was so happy. I asked him how he felt afterwards and he said "I am like a new person in a new world." I love him. Afterwards, he and his friend surprised the missionaries and a few members with a full-on Indian lunch! It was so good.... curry chicken. mmm. It was so much fun. I loved watching how much the members love Anbu. He's part of the family. It brought so much joy to see him so happy and at home. It was heartbreaking, however, to tell him I got transferred. He said, "when you come see me again?" and before he left he asked me three times if i have his phone number in my "diary". So sweet. I'm just glad I'll still be in paris so I can see him from time to time!

je vous aime, tous.

amour,
la parisienne.

SOAKED. 

exchange day! 
Soeur Didier, Soeur Turney, me, Soeur Cope crossing the Seine. 
(notre dame is in the background)

me and the comp. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment